Looking for a place to rent? Take note of these tips and tricks to help you snag the perfect place.
1. Test the plumbing and electricity. It's not all in the looks, so take precautions to ensure that the tap, shower, and the toilet flush are working. Likewise, check every light switch and electrical outlet. Bring a portable lamp that you can plug in at each socket.
2. Make sure that your furniture can fit through the door. Measure your largest items and jot down each measurement on your phone or on a piece of paper to take with you. Bring a roll of tape measure at the apartment to check the doorways. You can also measure each room to see where best to place your furniture.
3. Connectivity is a must. Check your cellphone reception in every room. Check its Internet strength and speed as well.
4. Bring a friend with you to take a look at the listing. Having someone to provide an objective take on the apartment will come in handy. Your friend can balance out any biases that you may have, or point out flaws that you may overlook. A second opinion is always helpful.
5. Ask the realtor if you can talk to the previous occupants. Ask them about any concerns with the apartment, their neighbors, or the neighborhood in general.
6. Be prepared: bring your bio-data to give to the landlord or his realtor. Providing them more information about you will make you stand out let them know you're a serious candidate.
7. Drop by the apartment listing at night. This will let you see whether the neighborhood is safe, peaceful, and well-lit.