The ottoman can be characterized as a multi-functional piece of furniture, and every home could benefit from having at least one ottoman in its space.
Homeowners can create visual interest by choosing ottomans with different shapes and geometric configurations, and arranging them in a circle or simply using them as separate, individual pieces.
In the world of furniture, the word 'ottoman' originally referred to a particular style of sofa, which dates back to the 18th century. Since then, however, things have changed even though furniture historians aren’t exactly sure why this one-time sofa morphed into a padded stool.
Here are eight reasons why ottomans are the ideal piece of furniture:
1. Ottomans can be used as extra seating. Their versatile nature means that you can group them into different seating arrangements in the middle of the room or pushed up against a wall. You can also spruce them up with pillows, instantly transforming your ottomans into a couch.
2. The tendency to place one’s feet on top of a coffee table or chair while lounging is a longstanding practice that many homeowners enjoy. Ottomans are ideal for as a foot rest and are available in a range of dimensions, from large, couch-sized pieces to smaller options.
Nowadays, parents can buy ottomans that are made with child-friendly fabrics like denim or tweed.
3. Ottomans can be used as secret storage. In every living room and family room, there’s always a need to store small items like remote controls, game controllers, movies, children’s toys, etc. In such instances, ottomans with a hinged top make for ideal storage spaces as they are handy and disguised beautifully.
Ottomans with storage also work well in master bedrooms at the foot of the bed.
4. Homeowners can create visual interest by choosing ottomans with different shapes and geometric configurations, and arranging them in a circle or simply using them as separate, individual pieces.
For easy color combinations, choose a complementary palette from your walls, artwork or fabric.
Homeowners can also pick an ottoman that blends in with the furniture adjacent to it or one that complements their existing décor. Bold and interesting ottomans could make for fun conversations.
Ottomans can be used for secret storage to accommodate living room knick-knacks like remote controls, DVDs and children's toys.
5. Once you’re done with the extra seat, simply tuck away your ottomans. If you’re trying to conserve space, ottomans are the perfect solution for seating that can be pulled out when needed. When not in use, homeowners can tuck seating under the table.
6. Ottomans can be used as coffee tables. Whether you display your magazines or place your drink tray on them, ottomans can handle it all.
7. Nowadays, parents can buy ottomans that are made with child-friendly fabrics like denim or tweed. Larger ottomans can be used for board games and playing with friends, without disrupting the main dining table or communal area in your home.
8. Just relax on them. In many homes, the ottoman is a comfortable add-on to the adjacent furniture. If you prefer a more relaxed environment, consider choosing oversized ottomans that the family can lounge on.Even if you live in a smaller home with limited space, a multi-purpose ottoman is still the ideal piece of furniture.