'Tis the season of social gatherings. With Christmas comes a hefty load of preparations one must make within the home.
First on the list: cleaning. As the place where one gets together to celebrate the season with, your home must be ready to welcome guests. Look to these guidelines below to set your home straight for friends and family for the occasion.
- Set a weekend to dedicate to a top-to-bottom cleaning marathon for your home. Since it's the end of the year, it would be a good idea to have a clean a home as possible not only for Christmas, but to welcome the New Year with.
- Walk through your home and take note of things that need sprucing up per area or room. Make a list to get you organized.
- If you're hiring professional services for carpet-cleaning, window-washing, gardening, or fixing anything that needed be, call and schedule early.
- Your home must have more space for your guests. Put away objects and furniture that would only get in the way or add to visual clutter, especially in areas where you will receive your guests, such as the living room and the dining room.
- Do the laundry. Put up freshly laundered curtains, couch covers, tablecloths, and others besides.
- See to the surfaces. Dust shelves, countertops, and tabletops. Then, sweep or vacuum the floor. Buff or wax to make your floor gleam. Make sure that your carpets and rugs are clean.
- Wipe down the windows. Clean the glass to let in more light. Install freshly laundered drapes to go with your decorations.
- Ready and clean the kitchen appliances you will be using for dinner parties and for Christmas Eve. Make sure they're functional and in tip-top shape for the recipes you have in mind.
- Take out your finer silverware to clean and buff. Same with the glasses that you plan to use for your dinners.
- Defrost the fridge: with Christmas comes a ton of food; prepare to have more storage spaces to keep them fresh.
- Clean the bathroom. Set out fresh towels, ready rolls of tissue paper, re-fill or replace your hand soap, put out scented candles, incense, or another type of air freshener.
- See to any spare room should any guest plan to stay over. Make up the bed with fresh sheets; allow for some space in the closet for your guest's items.