Wednesday, May 13, 2015
We have all ogled at the picture perfect interiors of many beautiful homes, brought alive in the pages of the country’s popular design magazines like Elle Décor, Real Living, BluPrint and the like. We are often inspired as well by the design vignettes that are perfectly curated in the windows of known interior and design brands like Pottery Barn and H&M Home. But putting together a beautiful home goes beyond just purchasing living room sets, drawers and tables from these popular stores. Turning a house into home entails a unique, personal touch. And you can infuse these in your homemade décor pieces and DIY projects.
To get you inspired for bigger DIY projects, you can start small. How about making your own coasters using colored crepe paper?
What you’ll need
2. Colored crepe paper
3. Modge podge
Step by Step
1. Trace a design, using a pencil, on the square tile which will serve as the canvas for your art projects. Just pencil on the design very lightly so that your sketch will not show through the crepe paper when it dries.
2. Prepare your modge podge by mixing ¼ cup glue and a few tablespoons of water in a container. The mixture should not be too watery. Prepare the crepe paper as well by ripping or cutting them into manageable strips.
3. Following your design, apply the crepe paper onto the designated areas with modge podge. Simply pat the crepe paper into position with the brush. Be very gentle as the crepe paper easily rips.
4. With this type of artwork, one doesn’t have to be exact. Layer on the crepe paper, covering every inch of the tile. It’s okay that crepe paper sticks out from the sides; you can cut them off cleanly after they’ve dried.
5. Give them a few hours to dry. Trim the edges so that you’re left with clean sides. You may go over the outlines with permanent market to make the design more pronounced.When you are satisfied with the design outcome, apply a coat of varnish (waterproof) over the entire surface. Let it dry and harden before using.