Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Have a dog-friendly Christmas

The holiday season is usually packed with all sorts of activities and can become stressful. Consider your furry friend, as the festivities can affect your pet as well. New additions to your home such as holiday plants and décor can become choking hazards and even dangers to their health.

It’s important to keep your dogs out of the kitchen as you’re preparing your holiday feast.

Food

It’s important to keep your dogs out of the kitchen as you’re preparing your holiday feast. Aside from the chaos and stress they might bring during the preparation, bread dough and other food are harmful for your dog.

During the feast, you may be tempted to spoil your beloved dog with delicious holiday food, but don’t go overboard. Too much food can leave your dog with an upset stomach. Steer clear of giving your pet food items that contain fresh herbs, alcohol, chocolate, caffeine and xylitol, a natural sweetener.

Make sure that trashcan lids are secure to discourage your pet from foraging the garbage. Chicken bones and other trash can be choking hazards for your dog.

Plants

Keep holiday plants out of your pet’s reach, as most of them are poisonous for dogs. Some poisonous plants are poinsettia, amaryllis, mistletoe and holly.

If you have a Christmas tree in your home, secure it to the wall or ceiling, to prevent your excited pet from tipping it over. Also, avoid putting breakable holiday décor at the bottom of your tree. This will help save your precious ornaments from your curious pet.

Keep holiday plants out of your pet’s reach, as most of them are poisonous for dogs.

Décor

Avoid tinsel or at least use it on higher areas out of your dog’s reach. Tinsel may be new and exciting for your pet, but when ingested, tinsel can twist in your pet’s intestines and cause severe problems.

Antifreeze is extremely toxic for dogs. You may not know this, but most snow globes contain antifreeze. If a snow globe happens to get knocked over and breaks, shoo your dog out of the room while you clean it up. Dilute the spot with water and use a non-toxic floor cleaner.

Don’t keep a lighted candle unattended, or don’t use them at all. Your inquisitive dog may try to play with it and cause burns or even a fire.

Keep Christmas lights, electrical wires and batteries out of your pet’s reach.

Keep Christmas lights, electrical wires and batteries out of your pet’s reach as well. Dogs love to bite. Unfortunately, these items may cause electric shocks and burns.

Other Considerations

Take your dog out for a walk before your guests arrive. This will help relax your pet, and avoid an over-active dog during the festivities.

Pets also tend to get excited when there are a lot of guests and happenings. This might stress them out and make them pant more. Address this by keeping your dog’s water bowl filled with fresh water.  - Aislinn Kee

Source: http://www.barkbusters.com


Previous Next

Share
Email

Top Articles

Small spaces: Decor t...
Need a little more leg space in your living room? Use scaled-down sofas, arrang...
Home decor: Tips to c...
Even if you’re on a tight budget, it’s possible to completely transform a room ...
Buying Lots in Valenz...
Our partner is buying several properties in areas in Valenzuela, Quezon City, B...
Tips for designing th...
With imagination and clever design, you can encourage your family to spend more...
Buying Lots in QC, Va...
Our partner is buying several properties in Quezon City, as well as the cities ...
More property news...