A fun, creative feature to incorporate into your children’s bedroom is chalkboard paint. Use this and apply it on a wall or any convenient surface such as a portion of their closet or table. This will spell endless hours of fun for the little ones as they can freely express their creativity by drawing on the chalkboard surface. Parents can also use this to their benefit when teaching their kids at home and helping with their homework.
Instead of buying a slab of chalkboard, you can actually make your own chalkboard paint and customize the colors. It takes very little effort and is not too heavy on the budget. To engage your children, have them take part in your little art project.
Here’s how to make your own chalkboard paint.
1. You will need non-sanded grout, a mixing bucket, a roller or paintbrush, and latex paint in your preferred color. Chalkboards are typically gray or black but since this will be used for your children’s room, feel free to play around with their favourite colours.
2. Mix the grout and paint together. The portions should be 1 part grout mixed to 8 parts paint. Make sure that the grout is mixed well to have an even consistency.
3. Once the paint is ready, paint your preferred surface with two coats of the mixture. To ensure that you are left with clean lines, create a border using tape.
4. Leave the paint to dry for a day or two, or as instructed on the package.
5. Prep the board by testing some chalk. Swipe the chalk across and then wipe clean with a piece of cloth.