Many adore the cool, beach vibe of the coastal look. It relieves the stress of everyday living with its soothing palette of blues, whites and neutrals. Even though you may not live in the Hamptons or are miles away from sea, you can bring the beach living, laidback vibe to your home in the city.
Take note of these basic elements in order to decorate your home for a coastal themed look.
1. Set the tone for the décor by painting the wall of your home in a wash of white, blues, grays, pale green and even yellow. The neutral palette aims to capture the soothing cal m of the sea.
2. What defines a coastal home is its abundance of light. Open up windows and make use of glass to allow more natural light to enter the space. If living in the city, you can create a similar effect with the use of well-placed lamps and bulbs throughout the home. You can also use a mirror to create the illusion of more light.
3. When it comes to choosing fabric and furniture, opt for those that are lightweight and offer ultra-comfort, which defines the coastal themed look. Look for linens and fabric in crisp white or faded pastel colors. Bolder hues and pops of color are better left for accents.
4. If an all white palette is too austere for you, you can soften the overall look by incorporating more textures (in the same palette) and organic textures like wick, straw, bamboo and jute.
5. Incorporate more of the nautical theme through small details like striped throw pillows, glass jars with pebbles and beach sand, seashells and the like.